Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Week 7

Fluency 

Before this week's readings, I knew that I was a fluent reader, but I did not know the exact characteristics that defined a fluent reader, nor did I know specific activities to create fluent readers. Fluency, according to Classrooms that Work is fast, expressive reading. In the article, "Creating Fluent Reading", fluency is comprised of four elements:

1. expression and volume
2. phrasing
3. smoothness
4. pace

To be a fluent reader, one must possess all of these skills PLUS comprehension of whatever was just read. From the readings I chose three activities that I plan to use in my classroom to improve fluency in my students... 

1. I will use poems, dialogues, jokes, and riddles as fun pieces of work to have my students read aloud to their classmates. 
2. Coral reading is something I remember from school. You divide up characters in a book and assign their parts to students in the class. This encourages the children to read creatively using different voices for different characters.
3. Echo reading is a great idea to use with younger-aged children.

 This is an example our text gave as a good book to be used for echo reading.

What I would like to know is...What memories do you have of becoming a fluent reader growing up? Did your teachers have you read poems or be the narrator of the story you were reading as a class?

2 comments:

  1. I remember practicing choral reading in school and loved it. I agree that it's a great way for students to get into character and be enthusiastic when reading aloud. I also remember my mom reading aloud to me every night before bed. I think her modeling fluent reading definitely helped me become the fluent reader that I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many memories of choral reading in school. I always enjoyed reading aloud in class, especially when I was allowed to read as my favorite character in whatever book or play we were reading! I also remembering reading poems aloud and actually performing poems in front of the class too. All of these things definitely contributed to my reading fluency today!

    ReplyDelete